- Tourist Visa - if your study period in Chile is less than 90 days.
- Student Visa (Visa de Estudiante) - if your study period in Chile is longer than 90 days.
Tourist Visa; Student Visa
The visa fees vary depending on your nationality. Contact your nearest Chilean embassy to know the exact fees.
International students whose period of study in Chile is less than 90 days do not require a student visa. They can study in Chile on a tourist visa. With this option, you must leave the country every 3 months in order to renew the visa if you wish to stay longer.
If the duration of the studies in Chile is more than 90 days, in that case, international students are required to apply for a student visa.
Nationals of a number of countries may be exempted from a tourist visa, see an overview here: http://www.chileeducation.info/International-Students/Student-Visa.html
International students who require a student visa in order to study in Chile must apply for it at the Chilean embassy/consulate in their place of residence.
You will need to present the following documentation to the Chilean embassy/consulate:
- Passport and three passport-size photos
- Proof of adequate funds to cover the cost of study and living in Chile
- Letter of acceptance from the higher education institution in Chile
- A letter of police clearance
- Health insurance
- Birth certificate
- Medical certificate
- Certificate indicating that you have obtained a scholarship/loan
- Paid visa fee receipt
- Return or onward ticket
Allow around 2-6 weeks for the issuing of your student visa to Chile.
The student visa “Visa de Estudiante” is valid for a maximum of one year but can be extended. You can apply for the extension at the immigration office before the first visa expires.
For students on a scholarship program, the student visa is valid for the duration of the scholarship.
It is illegal to work in Chile if you hold a student or tourist visa.
Your visa application may be rejected if you are not able to show proof of the required funds, or if you provide incorrect or incomplete documents.